PORC Forums

Go Back   PORC Forums > The Main Trail > PORC Chatter

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
wes.riddle
Domestic Piglet

Default Correct Trail Distances

I'm new to the area and new to the forum and have a question about the posted distances of the colored trails at the UWF trail system. I've run the "green" loop several times and the "yellow" loop several times and used both my Garmin and my Strava Run app on my cell phone to measure the distance. I believe the trailhead sign lists the yellow trail as 2miles and the green trail as 5miles. I've been getting right around 1.5mi for the yellow trail (not 2), and 4.1mi for the green trail (not 5). Am I missing a turn somewhere, or is the signage wrong at the trailhead (or maybe my Garmin and phone GPS are off)? I'm not meaning to complain I'm just curious. These are some of the best trails I've used and I really appreciate all of the effort that has gone in to the build/maintenance.
wes.riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Dan S
Wilder Boar

Hey Wes. Glad you're enjoying the trails. Those of us that use a Garmin or Strava also find they are about 10% off when in the woods.

We are having trail maintenance this weekend if you want to come out and meet some fellow runners and bikers. Trim back some of those face slappers....
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
trittj74
Beer Snob

Same thing Dan said. Garmin is off by 10% because of the lag time between when it takes a point, trees, and cloud cover.

Bill Owen
trittj74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: