PORC Forums

Go Back   PORC Forums > The Main Trail > PORC Chatter

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28
Default Headset press anyone?

I'm going to be buying a new headset here soon for my cannondale and wanted to know if anyone has a headset press and if you DID could I get a little help when it comes time? I'll be pulling off my current headtube reducers and existing FuzzyLogic headset to replace with a Cane Creek XC short so I don't have to get a long steerer tube anymore. The headtube reducers add about 3/4" onto my headtube length needs and finding one at a decent price is hard to find for someone who needs almost a 9" currently.
Pilotman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
RobC
Boar

Default Take it to the shop

Take it to Truly spoken on summit Blvd or Cycle sports on Jordon and Palofox. They will usually pop them in and out right on the spot.

I tried to beat out my reducer cups recently and do not suggest you try this. It could damage the frame and is very difficult.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28

Are you saying they aren't removable very easy then? It's going to get me closer to "normal" stem length zone if I can get rid of them. Also, anyone reading this heard anything good or bad about FSA headsets? They sell one for about half the price of the Cane Creek one but don't know if it's worth it.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
brettk
bastard

the shops have a special tool which makes removal of the old headset very simple and quick. most tinkerers and diy types don't have this tool.

i concur with RobC. take it to a shop and see if they'll let you watch them do it. or better yet, ask them to show you how, so next time you'll know what's up.

it's pretty easy if you have the tools and the experience.
brettk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

you are one concurring son of a gun today aren't you brett? :-p
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
natepac
Alpha Boar

i gotz an FSA orbtz MX headset. only problem is its missing one of the sealed bearings. you could probably order on for about 13bucks. get that and you can have the headset
natepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

I'm just speaking of the brand's rep. The one I'd need is a big fat pig reducing headset. I have a cannondale, non-walmart, with a headshok headtube.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
RobC
Boar

Default Headset, isn't that the thing they put you in when you break you neck?

FSA is all I have ever ridden. The pig and the Big Fat pig. Basically because they are durable and the cups are longer than most which prevents creaking and loosening. But if you are weight conscious.....
The headset is probably the one part that you get the least amount of performance difference from. Put another way, I have never seen one fail, break, lock-up, come out, fall-out etc. Usually you are just looking at weight, unless you ride agressively....real aggressively. Unless you don't clean it out properly/semi-annually, depending on conditions. I have never owned a sealed bearing headset (although if someone gave me a C. King?). A headset has never caused me to lose a race or crash. So you be the judge.
Just my opinion.

With that said..there is Chris King...and everything else.

By the way I have never had any headset put in with the proper tool.
Probably about ten times I have taken out the old cups (screwdriver and small sledge) and put in the new ones (greased, facing the right way, logo wise, with a piece of wood to absorb some of the shock and not mar the cup, and a small sledge), on every frame I have ever owned.

BUT.....I still do not recommend this. Just because you can find out how to build a bomb, and know people who have done it successfully, doesn't mean it is a good idea DO AS WE SAY, NOT AS WE DO!
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
brettk
bastard

chris kings are good. have one on my track bike. after the intial install it needed some minor tightening two or three times in about the first two weeks, haven't had to touch it since. having said that, it is a 1" threaded, so that might be the cause for needing adjustments so soon.

on my khs i have a cane creeks solos, which i am pretty sure is a sealed bearing headset. works just as smoothly as the king, but i have never had to do anything other than install and ride it.

on my new surly i stuck an fsa pig bmx headset because that is what the shop had in stock. not sure what makes this a "bmx headset" other than that's what the packaging said, but it has worked fantastically so far. it's not sealed but it spins just as smooth as the two sealed bearing ones i have.

i'm not sure what all of the above boils down to, but hey, i have been dying to write a headset review and figured this would be the best time for it.
brettk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: