Endo
Crisis mode

Carl to you know what route(s) yall will be going? I may be trying to find yall
Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #62
NoName2
Piglet

Thumbs up Congrats to Carl...

For those of you who may have missed the IMBA Trail Maintenance School on Saturday the club presented Carl the following Dakine's TM Backpack for his countless hours of trail maintenance at UWF, building up the Blackwater trails, and for bringing the IMBA team into town. I think we all learned some great ideas and techniques in regards to trail building and are excited to supervise those who couldn't show up on how to do the work.

Again, thanks for doing this not just for PORC and the Timberlake riders but for all mountain bikers throughout our area.

More info on the pack here:
http://www.bikemag.com/news/freshpro...builders-pack/

Last edited by NoName2; 03-12-2012 at 09:50 PM.
NoName2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #63
donalson
Wild Boar

that thing looks menacing all loaded up ...

keep up the good work carl
donalson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #64
carl
I love bacon

thanks. it's big enough to carry a spare bike.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #65
scratchndent
Wildest Boar
Authorized Solicitor

Send a message via Yahoo to scratchndent

Sweet set-up, and Thanks for the hard work setting this all up. Collins and Kelly were realy nice and I am going to hook up with them in chattanooga when I get back from asia. Carl you rock!
scratchndent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #66
carl
I love bacon

Default this is what i'm sending to the pensacola news journal

The Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists hosted a local trail building school
The Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists (porc.org) would like to thank Subaru and the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) for bringing the IMBA Trail Building School to our area. IMBA Organizer, Spencer Powlison arranged for the IMBA Trail Care Crew, which consists of Kelly and Collins Bishop of Chattanooga, TN, to spend four days in the area, getting to know the key players in off-road cycling community, the local trail builders, and of course riding the area's trails.
On Saturday, December 6th, 32 individuals representing mountain biking in Florida's Walton, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, and Escambia counties, and Alabama's Baldwin and Escambia counties attended a trail building school which emphasized sustainable and proper trail building techniques. After an educational and entertaining three hour course, class participants put their newly learned skills to work by assisting in the design and building of a new leg of the Blackwater Off-road Bicycle Trail. This visit was one of 30 stops on the 2008 schedule. The Crew teaches "sustainable" trail building, which translates to building trails that last a long time and require minimal maintenance. This helps reduce trail damage, protects the environment, and enhances visitor enjoyment.
The classroom portion of the session was held at the Blackwater Heritage State Trail Visitor's Center in Milton and featured detailed instruction for building and maintaining multi-use trails on all types of terrain, especially our own highly erodible sandy soils. Twenty-two people attended the afternoon session at Blackwater River State Forest which resulted in an additional 1,500 feet of really nice sustainable single track.
Sunday was a day of play as the PORC gang took Kelly and Collins on a tour of our local trails at the University of West Florida. Collins rode with the more experienced group for a very fast 13 mile loop through the woods while Kelly led the less experienced riders on an easier and instructional 5 mile ride. After the post ride camaraderie, we said good-bye to Kelly and Collins as the drove away to their next event in their fully packed Subaru Outback.
We would like to thank Bikes Plus for providing (and delivering by bike) the food for our Meet and Greet on Friday night. We would also like to thank the Blackwater Heritage State Trail for the use of their visitor's center for the Saturday morning classroom session. Truly Spokin' bike shop provided ample pizza to fuel us for our afternoon outdoor session and thanks to CLIF Bar who provided work crew snacks at this event. And lastly, we would especially like to thank David Creamer and Woody Johnson from the Blackwater River State Forest for meeting with us and providing us the opportunity to use their lands to build the off-road bike trail and their support for- and encouragement of- this outdoor recreational opportunity in our area.

for those that attended from out of town, feel free to send this to your local newspapers so you can maybe get some leverage with your local land managers. thanks again for attending.

Last edited by carl; 12-07-2008 at 05:17 PM.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #67
carl
I love bacon

thanks to the power of beer. a beer influenced session of web surfing got me to sign up for a bunch of stuff. the imba visit was the result (at least what i'm admitting to). a lot of thanks goes to barbara for helping out with organization and showing off her social skillz. plus it gave kelly someone to hang with instead of a pack of smelly and vulgar guys.

the backpack is awesome. besides trail maintenance, it's a killer day pack for traveling. barbara has her eye on it.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #68
NoName2
Piglet

i took some photos of the classroom part. if you need one let me know.
NoName2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #69
kleinguy
Flying pig

Default Thanks Carl

I don't think alot of the people realize what Carl has done and been through to get this Blackwater trail a reality. I have 15 years of riding at the U , Carl the same I believe,and the trail keeps getting smaller and smaller, despite our reclamations. BLACKWATER IS OUR FUTURE, thanks to one person, Carl
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #70
Endo
Crisis mode

Default a few pics from the IMBA ride

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04961.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04962.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04959.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	248  
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #71
carl
I love bacon

nice blood spatter on the glasses.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #72
Endo
Crisis mode

yea i didn't notice it the day of until I pulled up the photo.....if you zoom in to full resolution, you can see dirt in his teeth and all...poor fella....hope he didn't need stitches.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #73
CleverOgre
pesky

stitches?..! We don't need no stinkin' stitches... I'm a little bruised today, but off to work and play another day.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #74
carl
I love bacon

Default imba certificate

i'm looking into getting some kind of certificate or letter from imba saying we are now skilled labor. that way your volunteer hours have more value.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #75
Dan S
Wilder Boar

Well written Carl. Any feedback when they may print it?
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: