PORC Forums

Go Back   PORC Forums > The Main Trail > PORC Chatter

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
natepac
Alpha Boar

Default Poor mans rims

need some new rims but have no $$$. What do ya think of these. Hubs are the same, rims 1mm wider. If I got em i had planed on having a LBS check the spokes and stuff. I would like to have nice rims and hubs but cant spend the $$.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...eProductSearch
natepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
ScottR
Wildest Boar

I dont think Bluesky's prices can be beat. I just got a WTB Rocket seat for under 30.00. Shipping took about 5 days.

I imagine the wheels would be bulletproof, and you could always use them as trainers when you get some more expensive hoops.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
kleinguy
Flying pig

Default a little more for a little more

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=84
kleinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
natepac
Alpha Boar

Default Or

Since I really only technically need a front tire, should I take that $$ and spend it on a better front rim.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
natepac
Alpha Boar

Possibly one with 36h? Just want something dependable/reliable and BANG $ THE $$$.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28

you need a 36h definitely. you taco the others.
Pilotman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
superdave
Flying pig

If you want bulletproof and cheap, you'll have it w/ those rims. You'll also have over 6 lbs. of weight in the worst possible spot on your bike. I'd be curious to know how much your current wheelset weighs. If it's not that much less, then go for it. You're already use to the weight anyhow.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM
natepac
This message has been deleted by natepac.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
hammerstein
Domestic Piglet

i would say that a good rim and wheel build will make all the difference in the world, take it from a guy who has taco'ed a few rims in his life. I have found a rim i really like Stan's Flow and will have to say that this rim has held up extremely well and not moved at all since i had the wheelset built, and im not a light guy. Also this rim is light weight 32H. My personal opion is that take the time and get u a good wheel built due to in the long run u will end up spending more. and with this rim a good hub u can have a light weight wheelset built for a guy of your size and strong. I would have to say that a 36H would be overkill and adding extra unneeded weight. my 29er wheelset is roughly in the 1700 to 1800 grams. which is exceptionally light for a 29er wheelset to hold a heavy guy. thats just my 2 pedal strokes.
hammerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28

I agree with the previous two posts. Especially what Dave said about weight. The more weight your wheels weigh the more energy it will take you to accelerate because of the lagging inertia. There's obviously a reason people will spend $700 on a wheelset like Crossmax. But you can usually find a good CrossRide or CrossRoc wheelset for cheap cheap on e-bay.

Wheels you'll get what you pay for but if you're already used to the weight like he said no big deal. I was going to provide the hub and Cyclesports was going to build me the wheel with spokes and rim purchased from them for about $93. If you want I'll give you the hub I was going to use since I don't need it anymore and you can get a replacement wheel for your bike for just $93. It's a Cannondale Expert 6-hole disc hub.
Pilotman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
superdave
Flying pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotman28 View Post
The more weight your wheels weigh the more energy it will take you to accelerate because of the lagging inertia.
Not to mention the more effort it takes stop and corner. That may not sound as important as the acceleration part, but you'll definitely feel your bike pushing in the corners.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: