PORC Forums

Go Back   PORC Forums > The Main Trail > PORC Chatter

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28
Default Sunday rides at 2PM

Apparently the UWF MTB Club meets at the water tower for a 2PM ride every Sunday. http://www.uwf.edu/mtbclub

HA! Sucker hasn't been updated since 2003.. We're talking pre-Ivan days. Geez, are they that lax over at the Dub with their club?
Pilotman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
RobC
Boar

Default What club?

In 2006 I was in the process of taking over the duties as club president. While in the midst of that process I was call up by the guy in charge of it from UWF, Scott something?, anyway he asked for all of the equipment back and said that the club had been dissolved.
That is the last I heard of it......unless he was lying to me for some reason.
If you find out otherwise let me know and I will go have a stern talk with him!
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
RobC
Boar

By the way there still is a 2:00pm ride. It starts out at pate road where the parking lot is. It is usually a large group and very fun!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Endo
Crisis mode

dissolved and end of story...or would they entertain bringing it back?
Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
scratchndent
Wildest Boar
Authorized Solicitor

Send a message via Yahoo to scratchndent

They dont act like they want bikers around. Maybe the Blackwater project is the way, its not that far, not much distance difference for me but maybe others not so great. I am in for more progress over there.
scratchndent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
NoName2
Piglet

i've been trying to get in touch with the uwf club for about 3 months now without any luck. i think they are completely gone. it kinda sux because now we do not have anyone to help take up our side with the U.
NoName2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

Send a message via AIM to Pilotman28 Send a message via MSN to Pilotman28 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotman28

Well how many Alumni do we have in PORC? We're still supporters of UWF and products of its education. I would think if we could work something that way. Or go through the UWF Alumni office for what we need. There has to be some way we can get approval from them. I know a few of us, including myself, can be quite charismatic with a group of people if given the chance to convince them of a worth while cause.

I think the main problem we're going to face is getting the time to pursue something like that. After people graduate you work. Work during normal business hours of the U and its board members.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Endo
Crisis mode

i would think there would be enough students involved w/riding to bring it back into existence. anyone seen matt waite lately? he could probably share some tips on this.
Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Pilotman28
Wildest Boar

I know there is a cycling club of sorts on campus because I see it on the "recreational sports" club board at the HLS. Maybe we could have them adopt us. If we'll tell them we'll keep up with the maintenance if they'll just help represent us or give us a leg to stand on with the U then maybe we can have a deal.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
RobC
Boar

Default They're aware

I spoke with April from students affairs recently in regards to a clean-up project they were doing on the boardwalk. I told her that the mountain bikers are the ones who really maintain the trails. She said she was aware of that.
So apparently they are aware that WE are doing all of the work.
With that said, they are probably happy to leave things as they are, as am I.
We don't need anymore bueracracy anyway. I say we let a sleeping dog lye.
The dissolvence of the club was due to poor membership and therefore a waste of their resources. Fine. As long as we can ride the trails and they leave us alone who cares?
Let them deal with the trespassers and we will just KEEP ON RIDING!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
carl
I love bacon

the uwf bike club is doing a 'yellow bike' program where they fix up junk bikes for anyone to ride. they have a shop somewhere on campus. they expressed interest in helping out with trail maintenance but i think there are only 3 of them and they're bogged down with school work (go figure). i'm sure they'll be around in time.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
carl
I love bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchndent View Post
They dont act like they want bikers around. Maybe the Blackwater project is the way, its not that far, not much distance difference for me but maybe others not so great. I am in for more progress over there.
as many people as we have on the uwf trails lately, we definitely need more places to ride. blackwater's got almost a quarter million acres and so far they are happy to have us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: